The director and CEO of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission has been elected chair of the Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies at the association’s Annual General Meeting in Charlottetown, today June 28. Christine Hanson will serve a two-year term at the head of the association whose membership is comprised of all provincial and territorial human rights agencies as well as the Canadian Human Rights Commission. Nova Scotia has played an active role in the association in recent years. At this week’s national conference, the association launched its second online training course, Safer Spaces in Canada, adapted from the Nova Scotia commission’s modules developed to educate employers and members of the public on human rights best practices. “Collaborating across Canada with colleagues in different jurisdictions has allowed us to bring important educational material to a larger, national audience in both official languages,” said Ms. Hanson. “We can learn from one another, do more together than we can working independently on certain aspects of human rights work, including education.” Safer Spaces in Canada addresses the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace, a serious problem brought to light through the Me Too movement and denouncements of such behavior from across the globe. The course is available for free on the Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies website along with Serving All in Canada, a course launched last year to help employers educate front-line retail staff on how to prevent consumer racial profiling. Ms. Hanson will replace outgoing chair Charles Dent who chairs the Northwest Territories Human Rights Commission. To learn more about Canadian Association of Statutory Human Rights Agencies, visit cashra.ca .
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedIRO urges political leaders to maintain peaceMarch 16, 2019In “latest news”Plans afoot to arrest and charge Jagdeo – PPPApril 16, 2019In “latest news”Opposition Leader says Govt conspiring with GECOM to rig electionsMarch 21, 2019In “latest news” With just six days remaining before the 90-day deadline expires, the Opposition People’s Progressive Party (PPP) has written several international bodies asking that they do not recognised the Coalition government after March 21.Speaking at his weekly press briefing on Thursday, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo, disclosed that they have written the Commonwealth, Organisation of American States (OAS) and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).\The Cabinet ministers“In all three cases, we are requesting that these agencies not recognise the government of Guyana after March 21. There are other issues we’ve raised in the letters; we give them a detailed briefing as to how the government has deliberately been slowing down the process of complying with the constitution, how they’ve acted in bad faith throughout even at the engagements we’ve had, and so we’ve brought the international organisations up to speed on those things and we’ve requested non-recognition of the government,” Jagdeo assertedHe noted that these international bodies have acknowledged receipt of the letters but did not indicate their position of the treatment of the Guyana government post March 21.Nevertheless, Jagdeo said they will be following up with these bodies. In fact, he disclosed that he had already contacted the Secretary General of CARICOM, Ambassador Irwin La Rocque, and plans to do the same with the Heads of the other organisations.In addition, the Opposition Leader pointed out that over the coming days the Opposition will also be reengaging the diplomatic community here to discuss, among other issues, non-recognition of the Coalition government. The first meeting is expected to be held sometime tomorrow.