President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf departed the country on Wednesday, February 26, for official visits to Nigeria and Chad.According to an Executive Mansion release, the Liberian leader’s visit to Abuja is in response to an invitation from Nigerian President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to attend that country’s Centenary on its amalgamation, scheduled to take place in Abuja on February 27.Immediately thereafter, President Sirleaf will be travel to N’Djamena, Chad, to chair the Heads of State Committee of the African Union Authority on the African Common Position of the Post-2015 Development Agenda.It may be recalled that last year the Liberian leader was privileged to have been chosen by the United Nations Secretary-General to co-chair a development agenda that would succeed the Millennium Development Goals. Upon the completion of that task, in May 2013, at the Assembly of Heads of State of the African Union, she was again selected to the chair a Committee that would draw up a Common African Position to be adopted into the final Post-2015 Development Agenda.While President Sirleaf is away from the country, the Honorable Morris Dukuly, Minister of Internal Affairs, will serve as Chairman of the Cabinet in consultation with the Vice President, Dr. Joseph N. Boakai, Sr. She is expected back at the weekend.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Christmas shoppingAs scores of persons scurry through Georgetown to conduct their holiday shopping or pick up last-minute items, small merchants are complaining that business is still moving at a slow pace.Stabroek vendor Granville expressed that business was slowWith less than one week left before the much-anticipated Christmas Day, Guyana Times visited some key locations in the capital city amid the busy crowds and persuasive vendors.During this season, there are many items to be checked on the holiday lists, from clothes, gifts, décor, household items and even seasonal fruits from the markets. However, vendors have claimed that these crowds do not necessarily mean that their businesses are flourishing.Harry Ram shared that his expectations were not metWhile the Stabroek Market was buzzing with people, one vendor who identified herself as Granville (only name provided,) decried that this year is quite different from the earlier years. She posited that many persons are window-shopping, and quite a few are actually purchasing the merchandises.She, nevertheless, anticipated that on Christmas Eve Day, there might be a spike in their sales.She said, “Business is not like long time. Long time you used to get good sales but now, it slow. We still thank God for the little that we have and that we getting. But like on Christmas Eve Day, we does get good sales. Right now, it’s slow.”This fruits vendor said last year saw many more customersMeanwhile, one woman told this publication that she was able to make the same amount of money as on a regular day. Her stall featured a variety of fruits and vegetables.“I make a day pay. I work and it doing lil well,” she commented.On the other hand, Harry Ram, who owns a grocery stall, shared his position that business in the area has been “normal” for the past days. However, it was in contradiction to his expectations. This, he believed, is greatly influenced by the earnings of the common man and their willingness to spend.Regent Street, Georgetown vendor complains of slow sales“I would say normal. It was not to our expectations. To me, last year was better. It depends on the circulation of money too at the bottom level because if the poor people at the bottom don’t have the spending power, all is going to be affected. These are the main problems in any shopping. From last year to this year, you have a vast decrease because the people don’t have the spending power,” the man shared.On the outskirts of the market, another lamented that there were more vendors in the market than shoppers. As he watched over his selection of fruits, the man explained, “The other years used to be better. What I could tell you is that they have more sellers than buyers. More people selling than people buying. That’s the truth. Everybody coming out to sell cause there’s no work.”Just next door, another vendor said that she is awaiting the final three days of the season, when there will be a thrust in the sales.“It’s the last three days when the place does get busy and the shopping does get more excited. We have to thank God because when you thank God for the small things, big things will come later,” she stated.A little walk along Regent Street landed this publication to a popular clothes vendor, who expressed that “nothing going on”.“What how that stand full full…Nothing ain’t going on. You understand. This country ain’t got money. Regent Street ain’t got nobody. Watch,” he gestured.
“Karina has had to carry the (scoring) burden,” Hegarty said. “We need more balance. Santa Barbara does that really well.” Jenna Green led all scorers with 18 points, 14 coming in the pivotal first half, and Chisa Ononiwu (16), LaShay Fears (14) and Jessica Wilson (10) also scored in double figures for UCSB, which shot 48.3 percent for the game. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “Those dry spells have killed us all year,” said 49ers coach Mary Hegarty. LBSU (5-20, 2-9) fell behind quickly but got within 14-11 on a basket from Karina Figueroa with 12:22 to play in the opening half. Scoring has been hard to come by for Long Beach State this season, but it was downright impossible for nearly nine minutes during the first half Saturday night against UC Santa Barbara. With the 49ers struggling to find the basket, the Gauchos went on a 19-3 run that proved to be L.B. State’s undoing in a 69-55 Big West Conference loss at the Walter Pyramid before a crowd of 892. But any thoughts of a comeback ended there for the 49ers, who failed to make a field goal over the next 8:42 while UCSB (14-10, 7-2) poured it on. The Gauchos went on a 15-0 run to make it 29-11 before Lakin Saucedo hit a pair of free throws with 5:45 left. After two more UCSB baskets and a free throw by LBSU’s Nondi Johnson, the 49ers finally found the hoop again as Figueroa’s layup at 3:40 made it 33-14. By halftime, it was 40-20 and the game was all but over. “We took some bad shots, but we have to make more from around the basket,” said Hegarty, whose anxious-shooting team made just 27.6 percent of its attempts in the first half and 31.4 percent for the game. Figueroa again led the 49ers in scoring with 15 points, but she was just 6 of 21 from the floor. Kaiti O’Brien was 6 of 18 for 13 points and Brett Timmons added 11 points, hitting 5 of 8 attempts. Saucedo made only 1 of 11 shots and finished with four points.
He was found deceased at the scene. Police are currently investigating, but do not believe this was a random act. It is unclear whether the apparent shooter has been apprehended. Fort St. John RCMP is asking anyone who may have seen or heard anything to contact them at 250-787-8100, or to remain anonymous call Crime Stoppers at 250-222-8477.- Advertisement –
0Shares0000Juventus’ goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon waves at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Atalanta on March 14, 2018 at the Allianz Stadium in Turin © AFP/File / MARCO BERTORELLOROME, Italy, Mar 17 – Italy legend Gianluigi Buffon has been called up by interim coach Luigi Di Biagio for friendlies against England and Argentina later this month.Buffon, 40, had called time on his international career after Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup in Russia, losing a two-legged play-off to Sweden to miss the tournament for the first time in 60 years. But the 40-year-old Juventus skipper had indicated that he was ready to make a comeback if Di Biagio needed him for the friendlies in England on March 23 and 27.Buffon, who has 175 caps for Italy, will be given a better send off than on the sad night Italy failed to qualify for the World Cup in his last game against Sweden.Mario Balotelli has however been overlooked despite speculation the in-form Nice player would get his first cap since the 2014 World Cup.But Di Biagio opted instead for 20-year-old AC Milan forward Patrick Crutone, who has been one of the stars this season with his club.Both Cutrone and Fiorentina winger Federico Chiesa move up from the Under-21 side with Giacomo Bonaventura getting his first call since November 2016.AC Milan centre-back Alessio Romagnoli however has been ruled out with a muscular problem.The Azzurri are still without a permanent coach after Gian Piero Ventura’s dismissal after the World Cup elimination.Italy squadGoalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Mattia Perin (Genoa)Defenders: Leonardo Bonucci (AC Milan), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Matteo Darmian (Manchester United), Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus), Gianmarco Ferrari (Sampdoria), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Daniele Rugani (Juventus), Leonardo Spinazzola (Atalanta), Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea)Midfielders: Giacomo Bonaventura (AC Milan), Bryan Cristante (Atalanta), Roberto Gagliardini (Inter), Jorge Luiz Frello Jorginho (Napoli), Marco Parolo (Lazio), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain)Forwards: Andrea Belotti (Torino), Antonio Candreva (Inter), Patrick Cutrone (AC Milan), Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Simone Verdi (Bologna)0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
1 Abdisalam Ibrahim Bournemouth and Watford are both reportedly in the running for former Manchester City midfielder Abdisalam Ibrahim.The Norweigan midfielder, who was born in Somalia, is currently with Greek side Olympiakos but is seeking a new challenge.The 24-year-old has made just one appearance for the Superleague champions, and spent last season on-loan at Crete-based side Ergotelis.Ibrahim also made just a solitary appearance for City – in an FA Cup tie in January 2010 – but that has not stopped interest from two of the Premier League’s newly-promoted clubs.
By Marcia Dunn THE ASSOCIATED PRESS CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – This weekend as the seven astronauts relax before Tuesday’s blastoff into space, the beer will be cold and waiting at crew quarters at Kennedy Space Center. No one will monitor how much they drink; no breath tests will be given. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“We’re all professionals,” says Scott Kelly, commander of the last space shuttle mission in August. While the outside world was aghast at a medical report a few months ago suggesting two cases of drunkenness just before launch, the men and women who fly NASA’s space shuttles are indignant. “It’s just such an absurd thing to think that someone would even do that,” said Kelly, a Navy commander. “I don’t have the words to describe how ridiculous this whole thing is.” He and others agree there’s no harm in having a beer a day or two out, and he did just that. During the three days before liftoff, the shuttle crew is in semi-isolation at dorm-style quarters or at the beach house where astronauts enjoy barbecues with their spouses. Kelly’s co-pilot, Charles Hobaugh, a burly Marine colonel, readily admits he’s no teetotaler. But he says that coming into launch, his drink of choice is skim milk. Their mission came just over a week after the controversial report by a special medical panel that mentioned inebriated astronauts, citing interviews with unnamed sources. What made the anonymous allegations of heavy preflight drinking even worse is that they followed by just months the arrest of Lisa Nowak. The lovelorn astronaut chased her former astronaut-boyfriend’s new love interest halfway across the country and ended up in jail. She intends to plead temporary insanity. It was her case that led NASA to commission a panel of aerospace medical experts to look into the health of astronauts. Their report in late July mentioned the two unverified episodes of drunkenness. It’s been tough on NASA’s 91 astronauts, unaccustomed to bad press, let alone ridicule. “Of course, there are jokes,” said Army Col. Douglas Wheelock, a member of the new crew that will be flying Discovery on Tuesday. His family in the Northeast has called him, wanting to know, “What’s going on down there?” He said the back-to-back scandals have reminded him “that people are looking up to me, not because of who I am, but because of the suit that I have on.” Peggy Whitson, who recently arrived on the international space station as commander, also has found herself treading carefully. The drinking issue weighed heavily on her mind before her Oct. 10 launch aboard a Soyuz rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, where preflight toasting is the norm. She said it was “interesting” navigating between the U.S. and Russian cultural differences. “We don’t want people to have an image of us as being a bunch of drunks,” she said in an interview with The Associated Press earlier this week. NASA’s long-standing rule – unwritten but universally understood – is that alcohol is forbidden within 12 hours of a launch. No one denies that until then, “alcohol is freely used in crew quarters,” as the astronaut health panel stated in its report. It based its findings on astronauts and flight surgeons who were promised anonymity.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson Coleman was convicted and sentenced to death in 1982 for the murder of 19-year-old Wanda McCoy, his wife’s sister, who was found raped, stabbed and nearly beheaded in her home in the coal mining town of Grundy. Coleman’s attorneys argued that he did not have time to commit the crime, that tests showed semen from two men was found inside McCoy and that another man bragged about murdering her. Coleman was executed on May 20, 1992. “An innocent man is going to be murdered tonight,” the 33-year-old said moments before he was electrocuted. “When my innocence is proven, I hope America will realize the injustice of the death penalty as all other civilized countries have.” RICHMOND, Va. – With less than two weeks left in Gov. Mark R. Warner’s term, time is running out for him to arrange DNA testing that could determine whether Virginia sent an innocent man to the electric chair in 1992. If the tests show Roger Keith Coleman did not rape and murder his sister-in-law in 1981, it will mark the first time in the United States an executed person has been scientifically proved innocent, say death penalty opponents, who are keenly aware that such a result could have a powerful effect on public opinion. “I think it would be the final straw for a lot of people who are on the fence on the death penalty,” said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center in Washington. Warner – a potential Democratic presidential contender for 2008 – hopes to complete negotiations over how the test would be conducted before his term ends Jan. 14, said spokesman Kevin Hall.
A Letterkenny man has appeared in court charged with threatening to kill or cause serious harm to a Garda Sergeant.John Boyle appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court and pleaded guilty to six different charges.The court heard that Boyle, 46, of 14 Leck Cottages was charged with a number of offences which took place at Lower Main Street in Letterkenny on August 14th last. He is charged with assault causing harm to a number of people under the Non Fatal Against the Persons Act.Those Boyle is charged with assaulting include Sean McFadden, Terence McGill and Ciaran McBride.He was also charged with threatening to kill or cause serious harm to both Garda Sgt Aidan Doherty and Sean McFadden.Boyle pleaded guilty to all six charges before the court.The case relates to an incident outside Voodoo Nightclub.Judge John O’Hagan adjourned the case until next October and agreed to have a probation report carried out on the accused.MAN CHARGED WITH THREATENING TO KILL GARDA AND ASSAULTING OTHERS was last modified: April 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:John Boyleletterkennythreats to kill