Up to 100 children carers in Limerick

first_imgEmail Linkedin NewsLocal NewsUp to 100 children carers in LimerickBy admin – August 9, 2012 648 Advertisement Facebook UP to 100 Limerick children under the age of 15,  are carers for a relative. An estimated 60 children are acting as carers in county Clare. Caring for Carers, the organisation which represents 109 carers’ groups across the country, has identified 4,288 carers under the age of 15 nationally, using the latest figures from the Census. Of these, statistics suggest that around 100 are based in Limerick city and county. Mary McMahon, CEO of Caring for Carers says this is the likely figure but stressed that the objective is to identify them as individuals so they can be offered support.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “The problem is that they are not always visible because they often don’t think of themselves as carers,” Mary told the Limerick Post.“We have raised the issue with the schools because teachers may become aware of them. If students seem to be under pressure, maybe they are falling behind in schoolwork because they are tired or because of pressures at home”.Pointing out that in neighbouring Clare where the organisation has its headquarters, there are 60 children in this position, she welcomed the new National Carers Strategy.“As far back as 1988 the Department of Health expressed its desire to enable older people to live with dignity and to be cared for as long as possible in their own homes and 24 years on, the Government has produced a strategy that we feel provides the framework,” she said. However, Renee Geary of the Limerick branch of Caring for Carers, said that while the evidence is there in the census, her group has not encountered carers in the  age group of under 15 .According to the care group, the youngsters may simply be taking on more housework because there is a disabled or elderly person in the home or they may have a bigger share of duties – for instance, if the person in need of care is a parent who requires bathing or feeding. “There are a lot of people who don’t identify as carers because they are caring for a family member or a spouse. They just see it as being their duty,” concluded Renee.  center_img Twitter WhatsApp Print Previous articleEleven deaths on farms this year lead to call for vigilanceNext articleMayor asked to take 50% cut adminlast_img read more

Enyeama Finally Breaks Silence On Eagles Return

first_imgFormer Super Eagles captain Vincent Enyeama has finally broken his silence on the much talked about debate concerning his possible return to the team.Calls for the Lille Metropole FC of France goalkeeper’s return to the team intensified last week after South Africa-based goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi produced a forgettable performance in the first half of Nigeria’s impressive 4-2 comeback win over 2-time world champions Argentina at the Krasnodar Stadium in Russia.Enyeama broke his silence via his Twitter handle when a fan asked about his club and national team career though his response didn’t give much away. He said: “Thanks a lot but don’t worry, the future will take care of itself. ”Vincent Enyeama recently returned to full training at his French club Lille after a lengthy layoff prompted by the knee injury he suffered in April. RelatedEnyeama Exits Lille By Mutual Consent, Linked With AuxerreSeptember 1, 2018In “Europe”AUDIO: Enyeama Is Ready To Come Back To Super Eagles But… – RohrAugust 31, 2017In “National Team”Vincent Enyeama Set for Trials with French Ligue 1 Side DijonJuly 24, 2019In “France”last_img read more

Late-season stakes good for Clippers, Doc Rivers says

first_imgWhile some teams reach this time of year, they enjoy a bit of a reprieve before the rigors of the playoffs start. When Rivers was leading Boston deep into the Eastern Conference playoffs each season, he said, the Celtics “appreciated not having to worry about where we were at.”It’s different for the Clippers.“This is probably good,” he said, “because we haven’t been whole. So now we are and maybe it’s a good thing.”The Clippers are still without Austin Rivers, at least for the last two games of the regular season and likely into the first round. However, they played 29 games spanning nearly two months without either Blake Griffin or Chris Paul, who each missed 20 games.Defend again? SAN ANTONIO >> This is the time of year when the Clippers have generally been able to relax. Playoff seeding has been assured, division titles won. Teams below them in the standings may have been sorting out matchups, but the Clippers, for each season Doc Rivers has been at the helm, knew where they were going to end up.This year, things are different. The games matter to the Clippers.While a matchup with the Jazz is assured after the Clippers beat San Antonio, 98-87, it remains to be seen who will host the first round, placing greater import on these dwindling days. After the losing in the first round last year and in the conference semifinals in Rivers’ first two seasons, might there be a benefit to needing to still be chasing seeding at this time of year?“I swear that question is asked every year in my 17 years I’ve been in the playoffs,” Rivers said. “Who knows? I would say sometimes you have a team that maybe it’s good, sometimes you have a team that’s not.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Doc Rivers believes Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard deserves to win a third straight Defensive Player of the Year award.But knows that he probably won’t.“I think he’s the best defensive player,” Rivers said. “Our guy (DeAndre Jordan) has to be in the running.”Golden State’s Draymond Green and Utah center Rudy Gobert have emerged as top candidates for the award, even though Leonard once again anchors the league’s best defense. San Antonio allows just 100.7 points per 100 possession, lowest in the NBA.By comparison, the Clippers rank 15th, tied with Charlotte with a defensive rating of 106.1.Rivers chalks it up to voter fatigue, drawing on the 1993 Most Valuable Player award as a comparison.“Usually what happens is everybody gets tired of voting for Michael Jordan so they give it to Charles Barkley,” Rivers said. “That’s how it works sometimes.”It all points to Jordan, a perennial candidate, being boxed out of the award he has openly coveted. Jordan’s blocks have dipped from 2.3 to 1.7 per game, and the Clippers allow five more points per 100 possessions with him on the court than they did one year ago.For the first time, the league will announce all of their postseason honors on the same night, June 26, in an awards show broadcast live from New York City.last_img read more

De Gea Transfer Farce: ManUnited blame Real Madrid for collapse of deal

first_img David De Gea 1 Manchester United have blamed Real Madrid for the late collapse of David De Gea’s proposed move to Real Madrid.A £29m deal has been agreed for the sale of the  Spanishgoalkeeper on Monday, with Keylor Navas going  to Old Trafford as part of the agreement.But shortly after the 11pm deadline for European transfers it emerged the necessary paperwork had not been lodged in time and the deal had therefore fallen through.There was no sign of De Gea’s name, nor that of Navas, on a confirmed list of La Liga transfers, which was published after the deadline had passed.United insist they uploaded the requisite documents to FIFA’s Transfer Matching System before Monday’s 11pm deadline for the close of the Spanish transfer window  (BST).Sources at Old Trafford have rejected reports in Spain that they submitted their paperwork after the deadline and claim they have a time-stamp from FIFA as proof.It is understood that United feel it was Madrid who failed to file their paperwork in time and believe they must take the blame for the deal’s collapse. Reports in Spain indicated the documents did not reach the Spanish league office until 28 minutes after the deadline.Although Madrid retain a glimmer of hope that the deal will somehow go through, there have never been any successful appeals regarding late transfers in the league’s history.In February this year, Levante lost an attempt to overturn a ruling that cancelled their loan bid for Fulham’s Bryan Ruiz because they had missed the deadline for submission.Quite why Madrid left it so late to try to secure De Gea’s signature is a source of debate among the powers that be at Old Trafford.Madrid made De Gea their number one target earlier this summer following the departure of Iker Casillas to Porto and the two-time United player of the year himself was determined to complete the move too.The 24-year-old, who joined United from Real’s neighbours Atletico Madrid four years ago, hails from the Spanish capital and his pop star girlfriend Edurne Garcia also lives in the city.But it was not until the final day of the window that Madrid made their first significant bid for the player, and that was too late to get the deal over the line.The United board are said to be ”relaxed” about the situation.Although De Gea is yet to play for the club this season, United know they will now have a world-class goalkeeper to choose, should he be deemed mentally fit enough to play in Louis van Gaal’s eyes.last_img read more

Who is Man City and Utd target Philipp Max?

first_imgTransfers Who is Philipp Max? The Man City, Chelsea & Man Utd target with more assists than Messi Chris Burton 01:00 1/11/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Philipp Max Augsburg Getty Transfers Manchester United Augsburg Manchester City Chelsea Liverpool Tottenham Hotspur Everton Bundesliga Premier League The Augsburg defender leads the creativity charts across Europe’s top five divisions, with his form sparking talk of a possible Premier League move In an era of global scouting systems and seemingly bottomless money pits, top talent will never fly under the radar for long.Once a player starts to generate a buzz, regardless of where they may be playing at the time, the vultures will begin to circle and transfer talk will inevitably be sparked.That is the way of the world, and those with the deepest pockets will invariably get what they want as they continue to cherry pick those considered to be deserving of a place on their books. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Among those to be flavour of the month during the current transfer window is Augsburg left-back Philipp Max, with his displays for a middling Bundesliga outfit having piqued interest elsewhere.WHO IS PHILIPP MAX? Philipp Max AugsburgBorn on September 30, 1993 in Viersen, some 60 kilometres outside of Gelsenkirchen, a young Max headed south to spend time with Bavarian rivals 1860 Munich and Bayern Munich prior to returning to his roots to link up with Schalke in 2010.The son of former Germany international Martin Max, he opted against following in his father’s footsteps as a fearsome frontman and instead settled in the more understated surrounds of a left-back berth after being dropped deeper from a role on the wings.Having benefitted from working in an academy system which helped to put Mesut Ozil and Julian Draxler on the path to superstardom, Max was handed his senior debut by Schalke in a Ruhr Valley derby date with Borussia Dortmund on March 25, 2014.He was, however, to have to step down into the second tier with Karlsruher to find the regular football he craved, with an impressive one-season showing which almost resulted in promotion to the Bundesliga offering enough to Augsburg to convince them that they should bring him back into the top-flight as a replacement for Chelsea-bound Baba Rahman in the summer of 2015.WHO WANTS HIM? Pep Guardiola, Jose MourinhoJust about every leading club in the Premier League, it would appear.Manchester rivals City and United have been leading the hunt, with Pep Guardiola in the January market to find cover for the injured Benjamin Mendy while Jose Mourinho is still being linked with several options to fill a problematic position at Old Trafford.Liverpool, who remain unconvinced by Alberto Moreno, are also said to have sent scouts to cast an eye over Max, and have been joined in that mission by Merseyside rivals Everton – with Sam Allardyce looking to put his own stamp on a squad inherited from Ronald Koeman.Elsewhere, Chelsea are considering another raid on Augsburg – following a questionable £14 million gamble on Rahman – while Tottenham are also monitoring a developing situation closely as speculation continues to suggest that Danny Rose’s days in north London may be numbered.WHY DO THEY WANT HIM? Philipp Max Augsburg statsCast an eye over the leading assist-makers across Europe’s top five divisions and it will come as no surprise to find the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Neymar and Leroy Sane among the leading pack.It may, however, come as a shock to find that Max – turning out for a side currently sat ninth in the Bundesliga – sits alongside them with nine goals created for grateful team-mates this season – a better return than the likes of Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba, Kylian Mbappe, Philippe Coutinho and Thomas Muller.He has also managed one effort himself, meaning that he has contributed significantly towards 10 of Augsburg’s 27 efforts in the Bundesliga to date.Of the aforementioned assists, three have come from corners – highlighting his threat over a dead ball – while nobody in Germany can claim to have bettered his haul of 49 chances created or his tally of 181 crosses – of which 66 have found their intended target.WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD? Philipp Max GermanyMax is under contract at Augsburg until 2022, but it is unlikely that he will see that deal out as his stock and valuation continues to rise.Premier League suitors may be advised to act now, with it expected that his asking price will increase over the coming months as he continues to impress domestically and forces himself into contention for a place in Germany’s squad at the 2018 World Cup – having only previously represented his country at the 2016 Olympic Games.If he is to stay put, then he will continue to chase down Emil Forsberg’s record haul of 22 assists for RB Leipzig set last season, while seeking to put himself in an even stronger position to follow the lead of his left-back idols.Max admitted to Bild back in April 2014 that he has sought to model himself on Philipp Lahm and Ashley Cole – but the former only managed to reach double figures in terms of combined goals and assists on one occasion across his glorious career at Bayern, while the latter never came close to reaching those figures.Bringing together the best attributes of both would now appear to be the challenge facing Max, and it could be that those skills are honed on a Premier League stage before too long.last_img read more

Economic slowdown one of biggest reasons for 2wheeler sales slump says Honda

first_imgNew Delhi: The current economic slowdown in India is one of the biggest reasons for the slump in two-wheeler sales and with vehicle prices expected to go up due to BS-VI transition next year, the industry will face more challenges, according to a top official of HMSI. Hike in insurance premium from September 2018, expectation of GST reduction by customers and wait for bigger discounts on BS-IV vehicles have also contributed to the decline in sales, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) President, CEO and MD Minoru Kato said. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalHe was speaking at the launch of the company’s first BS-VI compliant model Activa 125 scooter. Its price starts at Rs 67,490 (ex-showroom), which is 10-14 per cent costlier than the BS-IV compliant model. The industry was expecting recovery when customers began understanding the benefits of insurance premium increase but the expectation of a GST reduction and slowdown in ‘Indian economic fundamentals’ have further led to demand slump, Kato told reporters here at the launch. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost”Right now, BS-VI price increase has not started yet. On insurance issue (price increase), we think, gradually, it has settled but the economic fundamentals (are responsible for) more slowdown, it is one of the biggest factors,” he said. Kato was responding to a query on how much the economic slowdown in India has hit the two-wheeler sales. “Basically, our original forecast was that the next fiscal year will be more challenging due to the BS-VI price increase,” he said commenting on the outlook for the next year. “Yes,” he said when asked if times are going to get tougher for the two-wheeler industry. Asked if the company has held back on investments on capacity expansion due to the ongoing slump, he said, “Construction of the fourth plant in Gujarat is going on as scheduled but operationalisation of production line there would depend on the market conditions.” Currently, the two-wheeler arm of Japan’s Honda Motor Co has a total production capacity of 6.4 million units per annum and was targeting seven million by the mid of the next fiscal. HMSI is currently investing Rs 2,400 crore for upgradation to BS-VI, he said adding that all of the 16 two-wheeler models of the company will be ready when the new emission norms kick in on April 1, 2020.last_img read more