RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Facebook Email Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Previous articleShannon figures soarNext articleWind weather alert downgraded John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print NewsScheme to reduce vacant property ratesBy John Keogh – January 15, 2015 690 TAGSbusinessCllr James Collinscommercial rateslimerickLimerick City and County Councilvacant properties Advertisement WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Linkedin Limerick County Council meet for the last time after 115 years in existence A NEW Business Incentive Scheme aimed at providing some financial relief for the owners of vacant properties was introduced as part of Limerick City and County Council’s 2015 budget.Rather than a universal bill of 50 per cent of the going annual commercial rate, as had already been the case in Limerick city, a sliding scale of charges will now be introduced.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a move that is aimed at softening the blow for the owners of smaller or rural commercial properties, charges will now be dependent on the rate that the property would be liable for if it was occupied.Properties that incur a commercial rate of less than €2,500 will now pay nothing, those liable for rates of €2,500 to €9,999 will pay 50 per cent, while those eligible for rates in excess of €10,000 will pay 75 per cent of the commercial rate.It is hoped that the scheme will be of benefit to the owners of small businesses that have ceased trading, who do not have the means to pay high commercial rates.Cllr James Collins, leader of the Fianna Fáil metropolitan group, told the Limerick Post: “The rationale behind this is there is a belief that there are people who own large commercial properties in the city centre, and they’re happy to sit on those properties and leave them vacant rather than allowing their competitors to move in.“So we asked if we could devise a sliding scale where the larger properties pay a higher percentage and smaller properties with a smaller rental value pay a lower percentage, if any.” Twitter Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
WKEF-TV(DAYTON, Ohio) –In the second mass shooting in less than 15 hours, at least nine people were killed and 27 injured early on Sunday after a gunman in body armor and wielding an AK-47-style assault rifle opened fire in downtown Dayton, Ohio, according to police.Police confirmed Sunday afternoon the suspected gunman’s 22-year-old sister is among those who were were shot to death.The suspected shooter was shot and killed by responding officers “in less than a minute” after opening fire in the bustling Oregon District of Dayton, Mayor Nan Whaley said Sunday morning on ABC’s “This Week.” Police said they were only aware of one shooter.“What’s scary about that is that if they were not there, the hundreds of lost lives we would’ve had in the Oregon District,” Whaley said.The suspected gunman was identified as 24-year-old Connor Stephen Betts, Lt. Col. Matt Carper, the assistant Dayton police chief, said at a news conference Sunday afternoon.Carper also released the names of all nine victims killed, including Betts’ sister, Megan Betts.He identified the other victims slain as Lois Oglesby, 27, Saeed Saleh, 38, Derrick Fudge, 57, Logan Turner, 30, Nicholas Cumer, 25, Thomas McNichols, 25, Beatrice Warren-Curtis, 36, and Monica Brickhouse, 39.Connor Betts lived in the Dayton suburb of Bellbrook, where FBI and Dayton police executed a search warrant on his home Sunday morning, according to Bellbrook Police Chief Doug Doherty. The chief told reporters that his agency had no previous contact with Betts.The mass shooting in Dayton followed a mass shooting Saturday morning in El Paso, Texas, where 20 people were killed and more than two dozen injured when a gunman, also wearing body armor and armed with an assault rifle, opened fire without warning.Dana Raber, 20, of Bellbrook, said she was a friend of Megan Betts, when they were both high school students.“She was wonderful,” Raber told reporters gathered near the Betts family home in Bellbrook on Sunday. “She was different in a very good way. That’s why we got along, I supposed. She’s very sweet, had her own opinions and was loud and kind in a way that her brother was quiet and stayed more to himself.”She said she was unaware of any friction between Megan and Connor Betts.“They are a family I admired, and I don’t know how they’re going to get through this. They were always very nice to me,” Raber said.The back-to-back massacres came a week after a gunman killed three people and injured more than a dozen others at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California.Authorities responded quickly to the Dayton shooting, first reported at 1:07 a.m., and said police are regularly present in the crowded neighborhood full of bars and restaurants.Whaley said the shooter wore armor and was carrying a .223-caliber rifle similar to an AK-47 and additional high-capacity magazines.The shooting could have been much worse, according to Whaley, as “thousands of people” were in the bustling Oregon District at the time “enjoying their Saturday evening.”Miami Valley Hospital emergency physician Dr. Randy Marriott said at a news conference Sunday morning that his emergency room received 16 victims from the shooting in the Oregon District. He said four victims were admitted to the hospital, and one was in critical condition.Marriott said the majority of victims his staff treated suffered gunshots wounds, and several patients were injured running from the gunfire. He added that hospital staff received virtually no warning before wounded victims began arriving at the hospital in police cars and ambulances.The Kettering Health Network, composed of nine hospitals in Dayton, said multiple victims were also treated at its medical centers. Elizabeth Long, a spokeswoman for the hospital, said nine of the victims were treated at the network’s Grandview Medical Center, where three remained in serious condition and three others were in fair condition.Long said victims were shot in the lower extremities, and some suffered abdominal wounds. She said one victim suffered a laceration to the foot, running from the gunfire.Dayton Police Chief Richard Biele said the gunman has been identified, but he declined to release his name during a news conference Sunday morning.Asked if she suspects the gunman acted as a copycat of the mass shooting on Saturday morning in El Paso, Texas, that left 20 people dead and at least 26 injured, Mayor Whale said, “I can’t speculate on that, frankly. We’ll have more to say on that in the coming hours.”The shooting took place in Dayton’s Oregon District, a collection of bars, restaurants and local businesses in the city’s downtown. The entire shooting took place outside, Biele said.Witnesses said the shooting erupted as hundreds of people were lined up outside on the sidewalk to get into nightclubs, or crowded around street musicians performing.“Most of us can’t get to our cars because there are bodies scattered all over across the street from our cars,” an eyewitness told Dayton ABC affiliate WKEF-TV. “People that were shot, hit, innocent people — we can’t get home to our families now, and those people aren’t going home to their families either.” Whaley said she received several calls from across the country.“I’m heartbroken,” Whaley tweeted Sunday morning. “Thank you to our first responders for all that you’ve done. We will share updates as we have more information.”In addition to local police, the FBI is on scene assisting with the investigation.The Dayton Police Department said in a tweet just after 3 a.m. that they were “actively investigating an active shooter incident in the #OregonDistrict. Please avoid the area.”“This is a large scene and investigation. Thank you for your patience,” Dayton police added in a subsequent tweet.Two bars in the Oregon District — Hole in the Wall and Ned Peppers — wrote on Instagram that their staff was safe.Kettering Health Network, which operates eight hospitals in the Dayton and Cincinnati areas, said it was treating patients, but offered no specifics.The shooting comes just 14 hours after a gunman killed 20 people and injured over two dozen more at a Walmart 1,600 miles away in El Paso, Texas. The shooting was the eighth-deadliest in modern U.S. history. Five of the top 10 deadliest shootings in U.S. history have occurred since 2016.President Donald Trump tweeted Sunday morning that the “FBI, local and state law enforcement are working together in El Paso and in Dayton, Ohio,” adding that “updates will be given” as more information is gathered in both shootings.He added in a subsequent tweet, “God bless the people of El Paso Texas. God bless the people of Dayton, Ohio.”During his Sunday mass, the pope referenced the three shootings in Gilroy, El Paso and Dayton, asking worshipers “to join my prayer for the people who lost their lives, the injured and their family members.”“I am spiritually close to the victims of the episodes of violence that have bloodied Texas, California and Ohio in the United States, striking defenseless people,” Pope Francis said. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Playmaker Samir Nasri, who opened the scoring in the final game, paid tribute to the influence of manager Manuel Pellegrini. Pellegrini has impressed in his first season in English football after taking over from the sacked Roberto Mancini last summer. Asked what the main differences were from last year’s team, when City finished runners-up in the league and FA Cup, Nasri said: “Do you want me to be honest? The atmosphere, the manager and the confidence. That is the difference between last year and this year.” Elaborating on what Pellegrini had brought to the club, Nasri said: “He trusts the players. The philosophy we played all season is just about all the quality we have in this team, that is the big difference.” Goalkeeper Joe Hart, who was named in the England squad for this summer’s World Cup earlier in the day, also spoke to the crowd. Hart was asked about the spell last autumn when he was dropped from the side after a period of bad form. The 27-year-old said: “It has been a good season, a tough season, but one I have enjoyed. “It was difficult for me personally but the beauty of this team is that we have got people who can fill in at any time. “Costel (Pantilimon) was absolutely fantastic when he played, I got taken out of the team. “He’s been brilliant, a pleasure to work with, the same as Richard Wright, and Xabi (Mancisidor) has come in and been a great coach. “As a goalkeeping unit we are really blessed at this club and I am proud to be part of it.” The bus tour set off down Peter Street and Deansgate before heading for Exchange Square, where a large crowd had also gathered. Weather for the event was good with blue sky and sunshine. After completing the celebrations, the team were due to fly out to Abu Dhabi, homeland of club owner Sheikh Mansour, for a short post-season tour. Kompany, who scored the second goal in the 2-0 win over the Hammers, said: “This is a team that is growing and we have done it in style. “Everyone keeps saying, ‘They have won the league and they have done it in style’. “That is what I like about it. That is what I want us to do again in future, keep winning in style.” Asked by the event compere if more trophies would follow, the influential defender added: “Has to be more, always more.” City’s title hopes took a knock last month as they lost at rivals Liverpool and were then held to a draw by Sunderland. Their fate fell out of their own hands but they seized on a slip-up by Liverpool to finish strongly and supplant their rivals Manchester United as champions for the second time in three seasons. Kompany said: “We never gave up, we always believe. “Together we did it, we knew we could, and until the end we fought and we brought the Premier League back to the city, and in the colours it should always be.” Thousands of supporters filled Manchester’s Albert Square and then lined surrounding streets as the team began an open-top bus tour from outside the town hall. Fans relived City’s season of glory, which was completed on Sunday as the side beat West Ham to clinch the title, thanks to big-screen replays before players addressed the crowd and then boarded the bus. Press Association Captain Vincent Kompany promised supporters more silverware as Manchester City took to the streets to parade the Barclays Premier League trophy and Capital One Cup.
Millions of Americans should see their coronavirus stimulus money arrive today in the form of a direct deposit to your bank account. The Treasury Department says the $1200 payments will hit the accounts of more than 80-million people. The payments are part of the federal government’s $2-trillion aid package as the pandemic roils the economy. If you have not received your payment…don’t worry.The IRS has launched a website that allows Americans to track the status of their stimulus checks. By the way, your check will contain President Donald Trump’s signature.The IRS “Get My Payment” website tells users when they can expect their $1,200 coronavirus stimulus check, and whether the agency needs more information before they send the check along.The website also tells users if their check has been delivered, and to which bank account it was sent.In order to use the website, users may need their 2019 tax return, if filed, and their 2018 tax return. Users will also need to enter a Social Security Numbers, their date of birth, their address and ZIP code to use the website.The federal government began sending stimulus funds to citizens who have filed direct deposit information with the government earlier this week. Officials who do not have banking information on file may need to wait a few months before a paper check arrives in the mail.Anyone who has not set up direct deposit banking information with the federal government can click here to do so.The following people are eligible for stimulus cash from the federal government.$2,400 – Couples earning less than $150,000 a year (couples earning $150,000 – $198,000 will receive a prorated check).$1,200 – Individuals earning less than $75,000 a year (individuals earning $75,000 – $99,000 will receive a prorated check).$500 – Each dependent child age 16 or under as of Dec. 31, 2019 (for qualifying individuals and couples).For more answers for frequently asked questions about the stimulus program, click here.